If you want to learn how to use coconut oil for beauty purposes and enter for a chance to win your very own quart of coconut oil - keep reading!
Coconut oil is a lot like butter in the aspect that it is solid when cold and liquid when heated. This property makes it extremely versatile! It has so many different purposes, from being one of the most heart-healthy cooking oils to moisturizing and replenishing skin, it’s truly amazing and I’m absolutely in love with it.
A wonderful company called Tropical Traditions (http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/) was kind enough to send me a quart of their Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil and I have been using it nonstop since it arrived. All of the coconuts they use are fresh and used within 24-48 hours of being picked. They don’t use any chemicals and everything is certified organic by the USDA. They hand produce their coconut oil, as opposed to using heavy machinery and they don’t mass produce any of it. This oil is made in small batches by coconut farming families who have been making coconut oil for centuries.
Want to know how you can use coconut oil for beauty purposes? Continue reading to find out.
Hair – Coconut oil provides your hair with the nutrients and protein that it craves, making it an excellent hair product. You can use it in several different ways on your hair.
- Scalp Treatment - You can melt coconut oil so it’s in a liquid state and apply it to your scalp as a treatment. It can help with itching or flaking. It’s also very moisturizing and leaves your hair shiny. You can put the oil in a bowl and put the bowl into some warm water. It melts very quickly. Massaging your scalp with coconut oil regularly will keep it happy and healthy. Tip – Don’t apply this the night before a big event as it can temporarily make your hair a bit greasy looking.
- Leave In Conditioner – This is my favorite! After I get out of the shower, I take some coconut oil, while it is still solid and rub it between my hands to warm it up, and then apply it to my wet hair. I only apply it to the length of my hair, because I tend to get greasy in the roots. It makes my hair so soft and shiny! It also smells really great!
Skin – Coconut oil is so moisturizing, and it’s effective for all skin types. Oily, dry, acne prone, or those suffering with skin conditions like eczema – you’ll love using coconut oil!
- Hand cream - I like to smother my hands and feet with it after a bath or shower and apply mittens and socks. It heals my cracked, dry feet and hands leaving them soft and smooth! It also works well to soothe and smooth even the most ragged cuticles.
- Eye cream – I’m very picky about eye creams and I have yet to find one that I really, really love. I have very dry under eyes though, so lately I’ve been applying coconut oil to the area. It’s so hydrating and does not irritate or bother my eyes at all.
- Body moisturizer – Try using it all over, instead of your regular bottle of lotion. It’s wonderful. I don’t know what else to say about this other than its so moisturizing!
- Eye makeup remover – I’ve been using this to take off my stubborn waterproof eyeliner and mascara every night. I just take a small amount in my fingers and rub, very gently, across my eye area. It gets every last bit of makeup off without irritating my skin. It also leaves my skin very moisturized.
Anti-itch cream – Bug bites have you feeling itchy? Just apply some coconut oil to the affected area. It will soothe the bite and ease that itchy feeling. I’ve also read that it can be used as a mosquito repellent, but I have yet to try that. If you know more about that, please share in the comments section. I’m very curious about it since I hate the smell and feel of traditional bug sprays!
Lip balm – Coconut oil makes the most amazing lip moisturizer. I’ve been using this a lot lately and my lips are so smooth. It tastes good too! I highly suggest this to anyone who hates dry, chapped lips. And, don’t we all hate that?
Since a little coconut oil can go a very long way a jar will last you a very long time. It’s a great investment, in my opinion, and a must have in my house. Like I said earlier you can also use it to cook with so if you’re interested in using it in your cooking, check out this website that has tons of recipes - http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com
Tropical Traditions makes the best coconut oil I have tried. It smells amazing and is an absolutely wonderful product. It’s perfect for all of my beauty needs and for cooking and eating as well. It’s so different than the other brands I’ve tried in the sense that it’s much tastier, less greasy, and better smelling.
Tropical Traditions was kind enough to provide an extra quart of their coconut oil to give to one of you! All you have to do to be entered to win is:
- Subscribe to this blog if you’re not already (It’s easy, and you don’t even have to be a member of the OnSugar community)
- Subscribe to the Tropical Traditions e-mail Newsletter here - http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/subscribe_for_special_sales.cfm
- Once you have subscribed to both of the above just leave me a comment with your e-mail address. If you win I'll e-mail you directly to get your shipping information. I'll give your info to the company and they will ship you the coconut oil.
Also, if you are under the age of 18 you will need parental consent so I can ask for your shipping information.
If you want 3 Extra Entries:
- Follow Beautiful Basics on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Beautiful-Basics/187455117967630
- Follow Tropical Traditions on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/TropTraditions
- Follow Beautiful Basics on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/BeautifulBblog
Just leave a comment (If you are on my main blog page, just click on the title of the blog and it will take you to a new page where you can comment) on this post with your e-mail address and let me know if you signed up for the Twitter or Facebook extras with your Twitter username. This contest will end on July 1st, 2011 at noon PST. I will then randomly select a winner using random.org and contact them via e-mail.
Good luck to everyone! I hope you enjoy using coconut oil as much as I do! See you all on Wednesday!
Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.